From free All Day Kindergarten and buying down the debt we owe to our kids, in the 2019 session we worked on education passing legislation to invest in our children’s futures.
- State Funding for Full-Day Kindergarten: HB19-1262
- Fully funds all-day kindergarten though does not mandate schools that schools have all-day kindergarten
- Public School Funding: SB19-246
- This bill increased per pupil funding $182.76 to account for inflation, for a new statewide base of $6,951.53. $20 million was appropriated to rural school districts and $22 million for students with disabilities.
- Inclusion Of American Minorities In Teaching Civil Government: HB19-1192
- History and civics courses receive funding to instruct students on History, culture, and social contributions including but not limited to of American Indians, Latinos, African Americans, and Asian Americans, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals within these minority groups, and the intersectionality of significant social and cultural features within these communities, and the contributions and persecution of religious minorities.
- Child College Savings Accounts: HB19-1280
- Creates a savings account for all children born or adopted in Colorado after January 1, 2020
- Increased investment in higher education to achieve tuition freezes at nearly all public universities in this year’s state budget.
- Apprenticeships/Vocational Technical Training: SB19-171
- To help get hardworking people into good paying jobs, this bill establishes a statewide Apprenticeship Resource Directory with detailed information about apprenticeship programs in the state.